Wednesday, August 27, 2008

#2- August 27th, 2008

While making a salad at work, my imagination was running amok, and I noticed a face on the giant container of balsamic vinegarette. Near the lip of the container the salad dressing had kind of spilled and the spills looked like to wide set eyes and a mouth. I drew my interpretation of the face and it is below.




another website you should all check out is www.gigposters.com. The website is devoted to music posters of all kinds-they have to be real posters for real events and actually be printed and used. No mockups or "wish list" concerts. The website is an amazing database of artists, venues, bands, etc. My work is here.
My favorite posters today in the "recently uploaded" section (click on the photos to take you to the artists' home page):







I love this color gradient. Great minds think alike, ay? I used this very similar concept for my fleet foxes poster back in June. I recreated the night sky with black tree silhouettes and then a yellow/orange gradient to dark blue. The inspiration came from being in beautiful backyards and parks in north end Boise.






This is a really classic example of a gig poster. I think this style is still very popular today but I think was much more widely used in the 90s. The really blocky lettering (which I am sure was hand done, wonderful) almost comical. The color combinations in the inks to really make the poster pop, and the bizarre art and even style in which it is drawn. I think the poster leans more towards a very influenced Jay Ryan poster than say a Kozik.




this is a VERY popular color combination, especially as of late. I wish I knew the scientific reasoning behind why these two colors combined make for such an eye popping, badass image.

No comments: