Sunday, October 19, 2008

#28 October 19th (2D Artist)

Fumi Minnie Nakamura


A freelance illustrator with a degree in fine arts, her focus on drawing mediums. Raised in Japan and schooled in Cali.

Looking at her work, it reminds me that maybe I should try colored pencil again. The control over a pencil is so much different than a paintbrush to me. I love the soft quality in which she works, the quality of line and color seems all exactly planned to perfection. The work is visually pleasing, and while the colors are warm, I still feel a sense of absence in the people in her work. The lack of fingernails gives them a non-human quality to me, or, they are people that will last forever. Fingernails keep growing unless you cut them, and if these people were to live for eternity, in youth, fingernails could get in the way. That is why their hair is long and beautiful.











No comments: